asked May 4, 2011 at 12:36pm
Hp HP LaserJet 4100

HP Laser Jet 4100

When I print a short document, I often get a dirty line about 2 inches from the left margin running vertically down the page. It looks like faded letters. I know the problem is not the toner and I have cleaned everything I can reach. I know NOTHING about printers and my warranty from HP has expired. I think I am having this problem because I often put No. 10 envelopes through the printer. What can I do to get rid of the line? The only thing that helps is running a multi-page document until the roller gets clean again. Is there something else I can do? Please help.
When the line appears you need to do a half test. Put a sheet of paper on the manual fold down tray and perform a self test. When the back edge of the paper enters the printer, quickly open the toner door to stop the printing. Now remove the toner cartridge and look at the image below. Is the defect present? If it is the toner cartridge and nothing else is the problem. If the defect is not present then the fuser teflon sleeve has an issue and you can replace the fuser or use the kit at the link below:

by dmzcompute on May 4, 2011 at 1:34pm Add comment
I'm not quite sure what you mean by "self test," but I tried printing one text-dense page of a multi-page document and stopped it before it went all the way through. When I took out the toner and pulled the paper out, I did not see the defect. So I guess the fuser is the problem. You said I could replace the fuser, but how do I do that? Which is the least expensive option, replacing the fuser or using the kit? Please advise. Thank you! - unknown
I've replaced the sleeves on 4100s 3 or 4 times. The 4100 is a great printer and probably worth it. Pulling the fuser is easy. You could try the replacing the sleeve, and if that doesn't do it replacing the sleeve will be good practice for replacing the fuser. Try www.printerworks.com for the fuser.
by dunnbob on May 5, 2011 at 10:29am Add comment
I'm lost already. What is the sleeve and where is it located? Where do I buy a replacement sleeve? Thanks. - unknown
Sorry, it's called the fixing film, from
http://www.fixyourownprinter.com/kits/hp/K77, 49.95.
I called it a film because it's a thin plastic (teflon) tube about an inch in diameter and 8 or 9 in long. It slips over the hot fuser and keeps the toner that's being fused onto the paper, from sticking to the fuser.
The whole fuser assy is easy to remove, replacing the "fixing film" is more difficult.
by dunnbob on May 5, 2011 at 12:08pm Add comment
Thank you. I will ask my boss about ordering the kit. I would prefer to pay someone (like one of you experts) to come and replace the thing for me and be done with it. Any chance of that? We are a small Chicago loop office. - unknown
I've only been to Chicago once. It was both my first and last time. It's not all that hard to do.
by moe on May 5, 2011 at 1:26pm Add comment
Customer says the printer has binking lights but no print. Heading out in the morning.
by mcavinee on May 5, 2011 at 2:54pm Add comment