Martinasked Jul 25, 2000 at 4:24pm
HP Laserjet 4 Jams + Noise
Will your exit jam kit solve this or is it another problem?
1. No change to clicking when toner removed (also true when paper tray removed)
2. Print quality remains excellent, no problems
3. Fuser gears seems fine - it's the same clicking noise even when removed
4. I can't be sure but it seems like the sound is coming from the front rather than back of the printer and inside it. Appears to start/ stop at same time as wheels just above paper cassette turn.
5. Clicks about twice a second for 20-25 times when starting up. When first page of print comes through clicks a few times, goes silent and then clicks until print ends.
6. Accordion problem seems to have disappeared at least temporarily!
: How often does it click? I mean as in how many clicks per second? That would be a clue as to where it may be. If you have an extra toner cartridge laying around, swap it out just for grins. Also, if you put your hand on the printer , or listen real close to the printer while it's clicking, you may be able to tell what part of the printer it's coming from.
: Does the printout look normal in every way as well?
This is the only way to isolate the source of the noise. The accordion jam will probably come back. It's usually intermittent at first, also dependant on paper stock used. We're here for you. If all this sounds a bit difficult, we do have a comprehensive tear down video of the HP4.